16.11.11

Day 325. The Considerate Ones.

Been a while...let's just dive right into it, shall we?

So, through my continued support of my hockey team, the Columbus Blue Jackets, (currently dead last in the league thank you very much :-/ ) I've had the opportunity to meet quite a few amazing people. Many of whom will pop up on here but I want to be keen to the fact that this is not a hockey blog (that happens elsewhere ;) )

But there are two people who I'd like to introduce you to in particular. And they are my friends Chad and Vanessa.  I first connected with Chad via twitter, and, when the Jackets started training camp (of course during a weekend that I was out of town) I was lamenting how I would miss getting one of the cool t-shirts they were handing out. Well, wouldn't you know that Chad let me know after the fact that he had grabbed me one. I thought that was particularly kind of him, and was super excited to meet him, and his wife, in person at the opening game to get my shirt.

It should be no surprise to you that Chad and Vanessa are simply lovely. They are the kind of people that the minute you meet them you know they are good people. Funny, smart, generous - you could tell instantaneously.

I've now had the chance to visit with them a few times - however briefly - at CBJ games at which we're all in attendance. Even if we don't get to talk a lot, I always love to see both of them, (great smiles on this pair) and visit.

This past week, they pushed my appreciation over the top. Looong story short, a friend and I were coordinating a project that involved a poster that needed to get from me to her across two hockey games - except I was out of town the first game, and she was in Cincinnati for the second. So, total last minute style, I'm literally sitting on the plane DM'ing all three parties during the first game saying basically "hey, I know this is zero notice but would you be willing to carry with you a large awkward poster for 2/3 of a game, keep it for a couple days, and then bring it back to another game until I can get it from you?" Well, wouldn't you know, to no surprise Chad and Vanessa agreed.

Last night-in addition to my hugs, I got from Chad and Vanessa the poster in question, as well as some of the giveaways that they had had at the Saturday night game (which had been a topic of conversation! :) ). Now, in this case, what gave me such pause was not the act of getting the "things" but the effort that people are willing to put into being inconvenienced for another. Let's be clear, sporting events are not the type of thing that you take a large bag or purse to. So, to carry large items, particularly like a poster that can't be crushed, or folded, or held in a truly easy way, AND to even consider giving up some of the giveaways that YOU received to someone else...oh and bring them back three days later to that person (let alone remember to bring them!) well that's the mark of some truly thoughtful and kind people.

I often have talked about how finding the "good in people" can be a lighthouse to us throughout days where we are faced with politics, interpersonal problems, frustrations and negativity. For me, and in the even more specific interest of facing a team that's not so good, I honestly would go to every game just to see these two. I am thankful to, through the randomness of sport and twitter, have met such nice nice people. And it makes me happy to know that people like this exist in the world.

While it may seem of little consequence to bring me a poster, a t-shirt, a hat, a device for fraud  a credit card reader (LOL), it is the kindness and selflessness of Chad and Vanessa that always stick with me, because its about so much more than "the stuff".

You guys rock! :)

No comments: