24.4.11

DAY 316. The Saying Goodbye One.

For those of you who don't know part of my impetus for writing this blog, I will restate it here - I believe fully that we should tell those we love and appreciate that we do NOW. The speeches of love and gratitude and "(s)he was so great..." at a funeral are made too late. For those words to matter, say them to the person directly. The older I get, the more I realize that life is too short for so much of the petty stuff people engage in every day. Would you treat those in your life this way if it was their last?

But never have I felt quite so rushed to do so. You see, today, on Easter Sunday, my friend Amy who has been facing a sudden and rapid fight with cancer wrote us all a note on Facebook to tell us that she is dying and that time is short. That was the first line "I am dying". So, without further ado I must get to the heart of it.

Amy - there are two main things I want to tell you about yourself:


First - you are brave and LOVING. You have been so conscious throughout this ordeal to share it with others. I do not know that I could be so open when faced with such consequences. I truly believe that your love of others and compassion for those in your life is unprecedented and, even now, as you prepare to leave this earth, part of your last message to us was to ask us to pray for those you will leave behind. You are facing this head-on, you are strong enough to tell us the reality, you are strong enough to trust us with your situation, and through it all you have loved everyone in your life enough to worry about them and to thank people for doing things for you. Amazing doesn't even begin to describe...

Second - you are LOVED. I love you, Amy. I love you for pursuing so many interests in your life, I love you for being open and kind, I love you for being funny and smart. But more so than little old me, you are loved by so many. I am sitting here now watching so many people - some I know, some I do not - express what you've meant to them, how much you are valued, all that makes you special and how thankful we all are to know you.

Of course I should not be surprised...I have seen these qualities in you as long as I have known you. Amy - you have gifted every person you've interacted with with the joy of knowing you...I wish you godspeed and peace in this final part of your journey here. I know heaven awaits and while we will miss you here, the love remains.


8 comments:

Devyl Gyrl said...

Oh, sweet gyrl .. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. She is so amazing and strong and compassionate to be open with you all and to reach out to as many people as possible.

Love, love, love ...

Cliff Ravenscraft said...

All the lives of those who Amy are better because of her! Amy we all love you so much!

Anne-Sophie (aka. anneso87) said...

Alison, I love you!
You ALWAYS find the exact right words and always get to the point. I admire you for that.
Everything you said about Amy is how I feel about her. She is an amazing, brave and very special person and - how Cliff wrote - we have all been blessed to have gotten to know Amy and to share parts of our lives with her.

Geoff said...

Great job expressing this Alison!

Amanda from Michigan said...

Well-said Alison. Amy is a special lady and so are you!

Actually, all the people in GSPN community are blessings. It's no accident we're together.

Stephanie said...

"Amy - you have gifted every person you've interacted with with the joy of knowing you"

This is so true. Thank you for writing this Alison, well-said.

FredFromLongIsland said...

Thank you Alison, for spreading the word about the effect Amy has had on our lives. She was comforted in her final hours, and beyond!

EdithSBaker said...

Your words are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. She's gone from the Earth, but not gone from our hearts.