13.3.09

Day 164. The Goalie One.

Last night, we went to a Columbus Blue Jackets NHL game...and yes it was a great way to celebrate our anniversary ;).  We had a really good time not only because we were with my favorite "puck bunny" but also, because it was an amazing game - Hitch got honored for 500 wins, the Jackets won in a shoot out and the crowd was on fire all night long. But, as I continue to learn more about hockey, there's someone that continues to impress the heck out of me: our Goalie, Steve Mason.  

I mean first of all, let's just acknowledge that it takes a very unique and special type of person who says, "sure, I'll put some pads on, stand on ice skates and let a bunch of very angry men shoot a very hard, cold object, 3 inches in diameter directly AT ME."  When I watch someone in goal, I really don't know how they do it...the job is rediculous hard and its also a very fine line between hero and scapegoat.

I think that a goalie truly is a rather unique combination of emotional, physical and mental strength, and its too easy to look past what these folks take on in their job. After 3 goals were scored on Steve in the last 3.5 minutes of the game, he then had to stand there, one on one for a shoot out. I personally can guarantee that I couldn't get my head in the right place to handle something like that (nor could I get down in the what is basically the splits to stop a goal or two...or three!).  With last night's victory, the Jackets are posting the best season record ever and the city is starting to take notice. Its a great time to be a Jackets fan and I think Steve Mason is a huge part of that.

As we like to say "ALL HAIL MASON!" 

1 comment:

iandrea said...

I love that your getting into hockey. I have to admit, when I first got into it, goalies were always amazing to me too. My faves were the Beezer and Hasek