27.1.09

Day 133. The Anna One.

This post has been a long time coming. I've had this person on my radar for a while to write about but, I have been (and still am) grappling with the best way to represent her...

Its funny how the universe works. A very looooong time ago, I went to high school with a person named Brian. Years later, he married a woman named Anna - not that I knew this at the time. Shortly after that marriage, Anna was diagnosed with breast cancer which led her to fight like hell, beat that disease and become an uber advocate who in addition to many things, built the local chapter of the Young Survivors Coalition (YSC). Through my connections with Komen, and friends like Heather, I ran into Brian and Anna at a YSC event, and then at subsequent "breast cancer things" through the years. It would have been easy for me to define my relationship with Anna in this very narrow context, but, in a cosmic blessing of the universe, I have found so much more in this amazing person.

Anna and I seem to have become a sort of long lost sisters...at least I think of it this way. I stalk her through Facebook and her blog and recently had the great fun of hanging out at a hockey game with her and Brian. As you can probably guess by this day's title, I don't know that there is one word to encapsulate all that this woman is...

Anna is funny. Anna is SMART. She is a complex, thoughtful, open, honest, beautiful woman. She's forgiving in all the things that don't really matter and unforgiving in the things that do. She is one of those people who compels you to want to be like them. She is 100% pure and completely connected to things that matter to her - agendas, politics and other "crap" don't get in the way of what she wants to do, whether its raising money for YSC, fighting for the rights of pitbulls or cheering like heck for her favorite hockey team. She is completely and totally pure in who she is. She'll tell ya she's not perfect, but she's perfect in her imperfections...

I have been having an internal battle because I do NOT want this to be a post that even begins to give you the mental shortcut of classifying Anna as a "survivor" only - but, she is someone who renews my determination about fighting this disease in any way I can because someone as unbelievably cool as she needs to be around as long as possible. 

This post is not very good because, again, I'm not doing justice to just how rockin' this woman is. My words are failing me...but suffice it to say that I am forever thankful for whatever cosmic forces brought this woman into my little circle of life. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too know and love Anna and I tell ya, You are right on! She is all you said and so much more. Brian is one lucky dude!

Joy Simha
YSC Co-Founder