10.12.08

Day 96. The Complaining One.

So I was at an office today and walked by the same desk quite a few times. Each time, the person behind the desk was complaining to her friend about the irrational request a customer had made today and how rude and insolent this customer was and why couldn't the customer understand why she, the employee, had responded the way she had. My first reaction was "quit complaining"...but then I thought about it a little more and realized I had a golden opportunity to highlight something I've been looking for for a while.

The more i thought about it, the more I started to believe that so many hurt feelings, misunderstandings and even full blown fights could be avoided if we could all take a moment to first consider where another person has been coming from before we react. I realize this is easier said than done, but seriously, think about how egotistical we are all being by thinking someone's actions are directly related to us as the target. Someone once said to me, "if everyone thought about you as much as you think they do, noone would ever get ANYTHING done". How true is this? Its too easy to take things personally, or as an affront to what we are doing, or what our job is, when often, there are 1,000,001 reasons why that person is acting a certain way that has nothing to do with us. Don't get me wrong, the fact that someone has said this to me proves that I am soooo guilty of this...but I think we can't try and remember enough to let someone else get at least a second's consideration that we wish they had given to us.

I've been trying to find the person who does this for a while and haven't found them - yet. So, today, I think of my friend at the desk...wish her peace and consideration from and to those she deals with.

No comments: