22.12.08

Day 105. The Sister One.

I am currently in the midst of "Chip 'n' Dale" with my godson, Max so I will keep this short because for some reason, I find a 22 month old entirely hilarious and engaging (and if I don't keep an eye on him he may fall off the bed).  My sister in law and her family (hubby +3 kids - aged 13, 11 and the aforementioned little one) are with us tonight - they live in Indiana, and as my inlaws live in Pennsylvania, a trip "out east" by my SIL always allows for at least a one night sleep over here. We don't get to spend as much time together as I would like, but every time I am with her, I am reminded just how cool she is.

My sister in law, "C', is one of those rare people that when you meet them you know, without effort, without nerves that there is a connection. I love it when that happens. No matter what our life paths and choices (which are often so similar and often so different) I feel that C is a kindred spirit to me. One of the most important things to know about her is that, as a mother, I adore her. When I met her it was at a critical point in my life - too many people I knew who were having kids became "Moms" - with a capital M. Their life completely ceased to exist and it became all about the baby in a way that got to be too much for me. C integrates her children into LIFE. She is an amazingly devoted and loving mom but she is also herself - and I have more admiration for her than I can ever say. I've always said that if I ever have kids, I want to be able to emulate her in so many ways - she may think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

I'm an only child and so this whole sibling thing is still unchartered territory for me but C is the closest I've gotten to a sister and honestly, I can't imagine anyone better...when I think of what an ideal sister would be - supportive, genuine, caring, real, loving, that's what she is. So for tonight, let's drop the "in law" and forget the holiday craziness and just say that once and for all, perhaps one of the best part of getting married was meeting my sister. :)

No comments: