19.12.08

Day 104. The Aubergine One.

Tonight is our annual family Christmas dinner. Every year, in the midst of the craziness, we take a break and go to my very favorite place to eat in the whole wide world. Its a private dinner club, called Aubergine, that was founded by my favorite Chef, Hubert Siefert (with whom we went to Europe earlier this year). I love everything about it - I love that its private, I love the food, I love the chef, I love the drinks, I love the ambiance, and I love the service...Aubergine only employs one staff member. There have been a few over the years, but, the best ever is currently there and it is Ted.

Personal disclaimer first - I adore Ted. He's fun, he knows food and wine and quite frankly I just think he's a cool person to hang out with (i'm always trying to get him to sit down with us and have a drink ;D).  Ted also balances a crazy schedule while raising a young child with his wife.

But that aside, Ted really deserves some praise...under Chef's leadership, Ted basically runs the place. He does everything...manages, schedules, works on menus, caters, serves, cleans, provides sommelier services...everything. His work is top notch and I would appreciate him for just that, but more so he has to put up with some pretty particular personalities and, let's be honest, egos, when it comes to a fancy private dinner club. Ted always handles it with panache and class. Quite frankly, the way some of these people act - in particular towards Ted, I know I could NOT handle it.

So, as I sit here getting all excited for my favorite meal of the year, I know that Ted is part of what makes it so great, and I am in awe of his knowledge, his patience, his class and who he is. Merry Christmas Ted!

No comments: