22.9.08

Week 5. Reflections.

As many of you know, tomorrow I leave for Europe. Stephen and I are going with two other couples and a local Chef who I have known since I was a little girl who hails from Germany himself. In the midst of my craziness, I did ponder what would happen here while I was gone...and after it become one of the 101 things I have to do in the next 24 hours, I started to think about the bigger picture...how can I show my appreciation for those I am about to encounter who are going to help a bumbling American who can speak little to no German?

Appreciation's a tricky thing isn't it - it can be bound up in social, geographical, cultural guidelines. Cracking the code can be tough: tip here, do NOT tip there, always say thank you, don't appear condescending. And it all has boiled down to the fact that I am going to try and be appreciative from my core for the next two weeks. I figure that while I will most likely make social gaffes and faux pas, if I am exuding how thankful I am that I can even experience this - hopefully that will get me through.

So - whether you choose to take on a blog, or a thank you note, or no demonstrative act at all - remember to be thankful in your spirit. I've decided that a lot of good will come from that!

No comments: