15.9.08

Day 30. The Electric One.

So many people have been affected by hurricanes lately, I feel a bit selfish writing this since Ohio isn't exactly "point of impact" for any hurricanes...but yesterday the remnants of hurricane Ike blew through our area - focus on "BLEW". All yesterday was Craaaa-aaazy including some wind gusts in excess of 70 miles per hour. Again, not to minimize areas such as Galveston Island, but there was some pretty significant property damage here and hundreds of thousands without power. We'll be cleaning up for a few days.

But while so many of my friends lost power or had trees fall (or worse) Stephen and I sat in our home watching the wind go crazy, we were blessed to only have to deal with a few power surges and some plants and lawn furniture blowing around. 

So, today, I am thankful for whoever realized it was a good idea to bury power lines underground. I've googled around a bit this morning and can't find any one person or company that started this - but hey, I sure do appreciate them. I know some people still lost power who had buried cables but I can only think that if everyone still had above ground lines that the loss of power and possible damage (fire, more property damage) would have been far worse. So, whoever you are, good thinking! And for all those people who were affected in our area, as well as for those who were hit by Ike much more significantly than we were, I think of you today and send you prayers.

No comments: