30.8.08

Day 14. The Valiant One.

Today is the first day of the college football season, so if you know me, you probably think I'll be blogging about that, but I'm not.

A fairly new friend of mine is leaving town shortly. He's leaving on Monday. He's leaving to do something that is very very honorable and very very admirable. I have tremendous respect for the path he took to get to this place. Not only is he leaving for something bigger than himself, but he is leaving a lot behind. He's leaving a loving girlfriend, a good life and lots of joys and comforts that he had chosen to incorporate into his daily living. I can't imagine how hard this is...he didn't think he'd have to do this again.

So today, I honor him - I honor him for being a great person in the first place. I honor him for his sacrifice, his strength of character in recent days, his wisdom througout, his attention to those he cares about (and who care about him). I think many of us would be crazed if we had a few short days to get ready to go away for a while, but he never shows it - and in fact, has paid so much attention to building up the reserves that will sustain him, and those he cares about - reserves of friendship, love, and memories to bridge that gap till we are together again. 

I liked this guy before, I REALLY like him now...in his wise words: "You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it, and that is OK. Everything WILL be ok". Godspeed my friend.

4 comments:

Francisco said...

WOW Alison,
Thank You for the poignant post. It's been really comforting to see the outpouring of support for me, and those close to me.

It will be a difficult journey, but I believe that things will fall back into place, and things will go back to normal in due time.

I really appreciate your very kind words, and look forward to keeping in touch.

sorenj said...

Alison, I just discovered your project (thanks to @devyl) and am awe struck. Kudos to you for focusing on the positives in life, and further for making sure those things are documented for others to appreciate as well.

This just make me more glad I friended you online :)

Francisco... good luck and God speed to you...

Kim Fenolio said...

Ok *tears* I adore your writing and for the daily reminder of how wonderful people in this world can be.

The man you've written of is in my thoughts daily. Prayers go out for his safety and the peace of mind to all affected.

iandrea said...

I've been trying for a couple of days, yet I can't seem to find the right words to say Thank You, and to convey just how much I appreciate this entry.

So, I'll just say Thank You, for everything.

Your friend,
Andrea